Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Music, Me and TMK

My love for Carnatic music has always been wavering. I have an excess of it or nothing at all. I go listening to certain artists and certain songs in loops for days and then quit listening to music all together for a long time.

But one thing remains a constant. I love the "Carnatic" form of music more than any other genre. My mom introduced me to TM Krishna a few years ago. She mentioned how nicely  he had performed in a charity concert. Her real expression was " yenna viru viruppa paadinaan !!"

I have ever since listened to this man on you tube. But there is nothing like watching a concert live. When I was in India in December, I had the privilege to go to a couple of them. I got to see and listen to my favourite singer Aruna Sairam. The impact of the concert versus the youtube videos wasn't very different in her case.

But T M K was another level when I was at his concert. I could totally relate to his music somehow. And he sang very very slowly that day. My dad and me  used to make fun of a girl who used to learn music from the same teacher as I did. We used to call her Sulochana (Slowchana), because she sang very slow. But we could not make fun of this man. He was in a different place. He sang like no one was listening to him. He paused to appreciate his own recitals in some places with a 'aha'. I guess he was thrilled by the variety that came through him. That is what made me feel very very happy.

I love watching people, who love the work they do. He definitely enjoys his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment